Hollinside Manor is a 13th century manor house situated east of the Nine Arches Viaduct, on the edge of a steep brow with commanding views of Derwenthaugh Country Park and the surrounding countryside. It was the home of the Harding family for two centuries during which time the manor became known as the ‘Giant’s Castle’ since the men folk were very tall. The estate passed on to George Bowes of Gibside in 1730 for the sum of £10,000; today the Manor is an Ancient Monument.
The Land of Oak & Iron, hosted by Groundwork NE & Cumbria has delivered over £5million+ investment in local communities; their natural, cultural and industrial heritage. Thanks to National Lottery players and funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund along with other matched funders: see Our Supporters page
Charity Registration Number
Groundwork NE & Cumbria 1017706
© 2022 Land of Oak & Iron.